Sunday, July 14, 2013

Lesson 12: Live a Life of Meaning

I believe that all of us have purpose in life.  Humans and animals alike have been created by God for a reason.  I think Toby was created for our family.  He was created to make us smile when we needed a lift in our day, or a cuddle when we needed to loving touch.  He gave us a lot and unfortunately it took his death for us to realize just how much of a gift he was to us.

I struggled for the longest time to realize what my purpose is in life.  Though I may not have figured it all out, I did take time with God to take a hard look.  Through prayer and real-life circumstances I came to terms with the harsh reality that my life was not going to go how I'd planned.  What I realized is that I did have a purpose: to live a life of meaning. 

This realization meant that my creativity had to come out of dormancy and get to work.  I had to turn my back on the life-long notions that had driven me thus far.  My meaning did not have to be packaged similar to the likes of well-known life-changers that I'd looked up to for so long.  Like Toby, I had to find my own brand of meaning and live it; no matter how big or small.

That wise ol' dog did it right.  He focused on his strengths and ran with it.  The older I get the more aware I have become of my strengths and weaknesses.  If you desire something more in life,  understand your limits and your talents and make the most of them to live a meaningful life.

What does a life of meaning mean?   Well that's up to you;  but if you are a person of faith, Jesus made it pretty clear in the Bible.   Live a life of love and service to others and God.  Making the world a better place is pretty significant even if your world doesn't grow beyond your own circle of family.   Make the most of it.   You'll then find meaning.

Mark 12:30-31 ESV

And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

No comments:

Post a Comment